Saturday, May 1, 2010

An extended intermission of sorts

Yes, all went quiet on my own southeastern front for a bit. Apologies to mom, who has gently reminded me in the last while – no recently updates on your travels? - that some words are long overdue.

Reasons and excuses are plenty, but I mostly chalk it down to my lazy indulgence/need for my own computer. I've not been keen to spend hours in internet cafes, tapping away, when other more interesting things can/must be done. And, since taking the one truly applicable high school course to life – keyboarding 10 – I write faster using a keyboard, which compliments my somewhat scattered and sometimes quirky thought patterns, which manifests into periodic, abrupt and concentrated bursts when I demand (demand!) that it all must be written down at once. (This conflicts with my near equal enjoyment of writing text longhand, with its slower pace, the warmth of paper and the flow of ink from the perfect pen (Uniball black, 0.5 mm). There's also the the long term satisfaction grabbing your moleskin from that shelf or box in the years ahead and reading old passages – there's no computer comparison to that).

Now that I'm back in Phnom Penh, with the creature comforts of a home away from home, laptop equipped, I find myself studiously writing and recounting travels at the end of this last two months of walkabout. Expect a burst over the next few weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment